Wednesday, June 25, 2014

"Accessible Mathematics: 10 Instructional Shifts That Raise Student Achievement" Book Review

      The first book I read this semester was "Vision in Elementary Mathematics" which focused on different ways you can teach different mathematical concepts.  The second book I read this semester was "Accessible Mathematics:10 Instructional Shifts That Raise Student Achievement" by Steven Leinward.  The second book talked about different shift you can make in your classroom in order to raise student achievement.  Although I didn't get the chance to read the whole book, one of the chapter that caught my attention talked about taking every opportunity that you get to support the development of number sense with students.  It talked about ways you could work number sense in your classroom.  The book also talked about about using multiple representations while teaching students.  I already try to use many different techniques when I teach in order to connect with as many students as possible.  I liked this book, however I think it would be better to read it once I am in the classroom and can actually incorporate these shifts into my classroom.  It is a lot to take on at once so I would recommend trying to work on one shift at a time in your classroom.  I will use this book while I am teaching, but I will start by incorporating one shift and then each year add another shift to work on.  I highly recommend this book to teachers who are already in the classrooms teaching!


1 comment:

  1. It's a nice approach because you can work on shifts gradually in order of need and feasibility.

    ReplyDelete